Get Adobe Flash player
Home Floodplain Information

Floodplain Management

The Kansas State Legislature delegates to the local governments a responsibility to adopt floodplain management regulations, designed to protect health, safety, and general welfare (K.S.A. 12-741 et seq, and K.S.A. 12-766). Any development or re-development within determined flood hazard areas are subject to additional regulations and possible restrictions.

The Planning Coordinator, as a public service of the City, can provide information on:

Whether a property is in or out of the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) as shown on the current Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) of the City.

Additional flood insurance data for a site, such as the FIRM zone and the base flood elevation or depth, if shown on the FIRM.

A handout on the flood insurance purchase requirement that can help people who need a mortgage or loan for a property in the SFHA.

For more information, and necessary forms and publications, you may visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website.


South-Central Kansas (Homeland Security Region G) Multi-Hazard, Multi-Jurisdictional Mitigation Plan


Floodplain Management Brochure

The City has a Floodplain brochure that answers some frequent questions.

Floodplain Management Ordinance

Haysville adopted the Floodplain Management Ordinance on September 26, 2016.


City Flood Services: Flood maps and flood protection references are available at the Haysville Community Library. You can also visit the Planning Department City Hall to see if you are in a mapped floodplain. If so, they can give you more information, such as depth of flooding over a building's first floor and past flood problems in the area and copies of Elevation Certificates on buildings built in the floodplain.

Permits: Always check with the Planning Department before you build on, alter, regrade, or fill on your property. A permit may be needed to ensure that projects do not cause problems on other properties. If you see a building or filling without a City permit sign posted, contact the Planning Department at 529-5900. Check out the following information on flood-proofing, flood insurance, and flood safety.

Flood-proofing: There are several different ways to protect a building from flood damage. One way is to keep the water away by regrading your lot or building a small floodwall or earthen berm. These methods work if your lot is large enough, if flooding is not too deep, and if your property is not in the floodway. The City can provide this information. Another approach is to make your walls waterproof and place watertight closures over the doorways. This method is not recommended for houses with basements or if water will get over two feet deep.

Flood Insurance: If you don't have flood insurance, talk to your insurance agent. Homeowner's insurance polices don't cover damage from floods. However, because Haysville participate in the National Flood Insurance Program, you can purchase a separate flood insurance policy. This insurance is backed by the Federal government and is available to everyone, even for properties that have been flooded.

Some people have purchased flood insurance because it was required by the bank when they got a mortgage or a home improvement loan. Usually these policies just cover the building's structure and not the contents. During the kind of flooding that happens in Haysville, there is usually more damage to the furniture and contents than there is to the structure. Make sure you have contents coverage. Remember: even if the last flood missed you or you have done some flood-proofing, the next flood could be worse. Flood insurance covers all surface floods. If your flooding problem is caused or aggravated by sewer backup, check out a sewer backup rider to your homeowners insurance policy.

Flood Safety:

Do not walk through flowing water. Drowning is the number one cause of flood deaths, mostly during flash floods. Currents can be deceptive; six inches of moving water can knock you off your feet. If you walk in standing water, use a pole or stick to insure the ground is still there.

Don't drive through a flooded area. More people drown in their cars than anywhere else. Don't drive around road barriers; the road or bridge may be washed out.

Stay away from power lines and electrical wires. The number two flood killer after drowning is electrocution. Electrical current can travel through water. Report downed power lines to the Power Company or the Police Department.

Have your electricity turned off by the Power Company. Some appliances, such as television sets, keep electrical charges even after they have been unplugged. Don't use appliances or motor that have gotten wet unless they have been taken apart, cleaned and dried.

Look out for animals, especially snakes. Small animals that have been flooded out of their homes may seek shelter in yours. Use a pole or stick to poke and turn things over and scare away small animals.

Look before you step.  After a flood, the ground and floors are covered with debris including broken bottles and nails. Floors and stairs that have been covered with mud can be very slippery.

Be alert for gas leaks. Use a flashlight to inspect damage. Don't smoke or use candles, lanterns or open flames unless you know the gas has been turned off and the area has been ventilated.