Get Adobe Flash player
Home City Departments Public Works Inspections and Permitting

Inspections and Permitting


The inspection and permitting function of the Public Works Department is the regulation and enforcement of  City ordinances concerning housing, fencing and commercial buildings through plan review, issuance of building permits, licensing of contractors and construction inspection.




Site Plan Requirements



A building permit is required in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public. Itnew-construction-versus-existing-construction does so by providing the means for City officials to review the project design and to inspect the construction for minimum standards as required by the adopted Building Code and the City Code.


A building permit is required for new construction, additions, alterations, renovations, relocations, and repairs or rehabilitation of a building or structure. Some minor repairs do not require a permit. Electrical, mechanical and plumbing permits may also be required.


If a building permit is required, you might also be required to have a stormwater permit.


A building permit may be obtained at the Public Works Office Building located at 401 S. Jane.



Building/Roofing/Siding Permit Fees

Application for a Building Permit

Application for a Roofing Permit

Plumbing Permit Application

Electrical Permit Application

Mechanical Permit Application

Fence Permit Application


Temporary and Permanent Signs require a Permit.  Permits for signs can be obtained at City Hall, located at 200 W. Grand.  A digital version of these permits can be downloaded here.  For questions regarding sign permits, please contact Planning and Zoning Administrator Rose Corby at (316) 529-5900 or This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it



Examples of Other Projects Which Require Permits:

If in doubt, call the Public Works Department.
  • Finishing previously unfinished spaces such as rec rooms, family rooms, basements, etc.

  • Repair and underpinning

  • Installation/replacement of wood stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, water heaters, air conditioners and condensing units

  • Installation of pools

  • Construction of decks 30" or more above the ground

  • Construction of accessory buildings (sheds, garages, etc.) exceeding 100 square feet or more measured at the floor.

  • All fences

  • Adding/modifying/replacing a sidewalk or driveway approach

  • Changing door or window opening sizes

  • Replacing electrical service panels, or adding electrical circuits

  • Reroofing

  • Residing

  • Adding or moving plumbing fixtures

  • Replacing water, sewer or gas lines

  • Signs **Facilitated by the Planning & Zoning Administrator, please call 529-5900

Examples of projects which normally do not require a permit:

If in doubt, call the Public Works Department. 529-5940
  • Replacement of doors when the opening is not altered

  • Replacement of landing and stairs, if not more than three steps or more than 30" above grade

  • Patching, painting and decorating

  • Installation of cabinets and shelves

Note: Although a building permit may not be required, it is still necessary to comply with applicable codes.



The City requires all contractors to have a City of Haysville license before doing any work within the city limits, even if the work doesn’t require a permit. A list of licensed contractors is available at the Public Works Office Building.




The City Inspector inspects all projects requiring permits to ensure all structural, electrical, plumbing and mechanical work is in compliance with applicable codes and ordinances. 


Site Plan Requirements

For residential construction such as a detached accessory structures; which do not exceed 1000 sq. ft. measured at the floor, fences, swimming pools or decks where the walking surface is more than 30" above grade; the site plan must show the following:


  • Property lines

  • Utility and/or drainage easements and the size of said easements

  • Location and footprint of all existing structures with approx. distance to property lines

  • Location of all utilities and how they serve structures (e.g., overhead or underground electric, gas, sewer)

  • Scope of project which permit is being requested

  • Estimated value of improvement or how much is it costing to do project requested

  • Common address

  • Legal description

  • Property owner name and number (rental properties must use licensed contractor)

Commercial projects require licensed contractors for improvements. Engineers and/or Architects are required to draw site plans with regard to landscaping, submit stamped drawings for electrical, plumbing, structural, HVAC, plumbing, etc. 95% of commercial is done by design.





Chad Bettles

City Inspector


This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it